Saturday, April 08, 2006

You wait for ages for a page of The Young Gods...

...and then two of them come along at once.

Well, we have my forgetfulness to thank for the speedy completion of page 5. Simply put, it's Friday and I forgot to bring my Wacom tablet home with me from work. No Wacom tablet, no colouring...which is a problem as I have a lot of colouring work that needs to be done ASAP. I guess I'm going to have to seek permission from on high (ie. my wife) to finally buy my very own Wacom tablet...it may have to involve me caving on the new mobile phone front...

So, that aside, five complete pages puts us very close to being able to submit this comic to some publishers. All I need to do now is to letter the pages and do a cover. Hopefully I can get both of those done this week...and if my significant other digs her heels in regarding the Wacom, I'll be getting them done this weekend.

Oddly, before I started working on this page, I expected the final panel, featuring Juice charging herself up, to be the weakest panel on the page, but I actually think it's ended up being the strongest. I'm pleased with the head shot of Impact too.

In other news, a certain other project I'm working on right now requires me to produce several images set in space, including star fields, planets, moons and suns. Now, I found some great tutorials on the web and managed to produce a pretty good starfield in Photoshop (you can see the results in my Silver Surfer pic' that I previously posted) but it took an age. Sequential pages set in space are going to require me to create multiple space backgrounds and it's simply not going to work if they all have to be laboriously created by hand in Photoshop. So, I remembered using a demo of a plug-in for Photoshop from Flaming Pear called Lunar Cell, which enables you to create really good loking planets with just a few clicks, that I tried out years ago when I was still working for the church (now there's a long story...). A quick search revealed that Lunar Cell is now part of a suite of plug-ins alongside two others, one for creating star fields, the other for creating suns! I've downloaded the demo versions and I'll try them out this weekend, and if they work ok I'll be purchasing the full versions. One of my junior school teachers once said of me that if there's an easy way to do something, I'll find it.

Well, that's all for now, I saw a great movie at the cinema tonight, so I'll try to get a review up sometime this weekend.

1 comment:

San Mateo Home Appraisal said...

This is a great post, thanks